Notable individuals from nursing history.
- Frela Dean Owl Beck (1940- ): Community health nurse in the Qualla Boundary.
- Casey Cooper ( ): CEO of the Cherokee Indian Hospital, he has served the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Nation as a Primary Care Nurse, Community Health Nurse, and nursing educator. An article about his work can be found attached in the Resources section below.
- Helen Crossley (1930s): Nurse who spent a few years during the Depression of the 1930s working with the Indian Health Service on the Qualla Boundary.
- Virginia Rosebud Sneed Dixon (1919-2021): Eastern Band Cherokee nurse and veteran of World War II and the Korean War.
- Trudy B. Fann (1922- ): Wartime nurse in the U.S. Navy, she settled in Johnson City after getting married and worked as a surgical service nurse for the VA. An article about her career and experiences can be found attached in the Resources section below.
- Lula Owl Gloyne (1891-1985): First Eastern Band Cherokee nurse.
- Mary Ann Lambert Luff (1916-2013): U.S. Army Nursing Corps nurse who served two years as a 1st LT in France during World War II. After the war she served as a nurse for a veteran's hospital.
- Ernestine Walkingstick (1937-1999): Public health nurse and advocate for victims of domestic violence.