North Carolina Nursing History Bookshelf
Those who want to read more deeply about North Carolina nursing history can find valuable information in the following books. If you know of other books we should include in this list, please email Kelly Wittmann at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional resources are also available through the Belk Library and Information Commons.
General Histories of Nursing in North Carolina
- Mary Lewis Wyche, The History of Nursing in North Carolina (1938). UNC Press. The first history of nursing in North Carolina published in 1938. Written/compiled by the founder of NCNA.
- Phoebe Ann Pollitt, The history of professional nursing in North Carolina 1902-2002. Carolina Academic Press, Durham, NC. Available online http://libres.uncg.edu/ir/asu/f/Pollitt_Phoebe_HistoryOfProfessionalNursingInNC1902_2002.pdf
Histories of Schools of Nursing
- Clayburn, J. (1985). Mountain memories: The story of Mountain Sanitarium and Hospital School of Nursing. Collegedale Press, Collegedale TN
- Clement, M. H. (2001). 100 years of caring: The history of Highsmith Hospital School of Nursing. Fayetteville, N.C: Old Mountain Press.
- Collins, P. (2014). Park View Hospital and School of Nursing: A century-long legacy. Rocky Mount, N.C
- Duke University. (2011). Duke University School of Nursing: Promise and progress, 1931-1971. Durham, NC: Duke University School of Nursing.
- Fitzgerald, G. L. (1991). The School of Nursing at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill and the pioneers who built it. Raleigh, NC: G.L. Fitzgerald.
- Newman, A., & Haney, D. H. (2018). Miss Bonnie's nurses: The first fifty years of nursing at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
- Toney, S.P. (2009). Gardner Webb University School of Nursing: History and heritage. Westmoreland: Shelby, NC.
- Watts School of Nursing. (2006). A tradition of excellence: Pictorial history of the Watts School. Durham, NC: Watts Hospital School of Nurisng
- Watts School of Nursing. (1977). Watts School of Nursing, Durham, North Carolina. Durham, N.C: Durham County Hospital Corp.
- Wicker, E. P. B. (2013). Voices: Lincoln Hospital School of Nursing, Durham, North Carolina, 1903. Fuquay Varina, NC: Jones Booker Pub.
Autobiographies / Biographies
- Adams-Ender, C., & Walker, B. S. (2001). My rise to the stars: How a sharecropper's daughter became an Army general. Lake Ridge, VA : CAPE Associates
- Ingles, T.M. (2013). Care from the heart. BTW Publishing, La Mesa, CA. (An autobiography of Thelma Ingles, who tried to found the first NP programs in the US at Duke in 1957), edited by Susan Haradon, PhD, Virginia Ingles Haradon, MSW and Paula Wheeldon.
- Yarger, L. (2017). LOVIE: The story of a southern midwife and an unlikely friendship. Chapel Hill: UNC Press (Biography of Lovie Beard Shelton of Washington, NC)
Other Books of Interest About or By North Carolina Nurses
- North Carolina Area Health Education Centers Program. (2007). AHEC nursing initiatives history and accomplishments: 1990-2006. Chapel Hill, N.C: North Carolina Area Health Education Centers Program.
- O'Lynn, C. E., & Tranbarger, R. E. (2007). Men in nursing: History, challenges, and opportunities. New York, NY: Springer.
- Ouellette, S. M., Owens, S. H., Wake Forest University., & University of North Carolina at Greensboro,. (2003). A history of the Nurse Anesthesia Program, 1942-2002. Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Winston-Salem, N.C.: Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center.
- Pollitt, P. (2017). African American hospitals in North Carolina: 39 institutional histories, 1880-1967. West Jefferson, NC: McFarland Press
- Pollitt, P. (2016). African American and Cherokee nurses in Appalachia: A history, 1900-1965.West Jefferson, NC: McFarland Press
- Toney, S. P., & North Carolina. (2014). First in nursing: A journey of regulatory excellence : The North Carolina Board of Nursing 1903-2013.
- Kelly, J. D. (1976). Structural Characteristics of Practical Settings: The Influemce of Role and behavoir of Family Nurse Practitioners. A Study of early FNPs in NC. Dr. Kelley earned Dr. Public Health at UNC-Chapel Hill.
- Pergrin, J.V. (1974). Autonomy and job satisfaction of Family Nurse Practitioners and diabetic adn hypertensive patients outcomes. An early study of FNPs in NC. At UNC -Chapel Hill.
- Wadsworth, A.L. (2002). Out on our own: women who trained as nurses in North Carolina from 1945--1960. University of Kentucky. (Wadsworth collected oral histories from 15 nurses who were educated in diploma programs in NC from 1945-1960.)
- Collins, P. (2004). Nursing history from a simple beginning to a rich heritage : a historical case study of Park View Hospital and Park View School of Nursing. A Master's Thesis found in Joyner Library at East Carolina University, Greenville, NC
- Daughtry, M. (1958). An analysis of practical nursing in North Carolina. A Master's Thesis found in the library at North Carolina State University.
- Greenhill. E.D. (1965). A history of the Department of Public Health Nursing, University of North Carolina School of Public Health 1941-1950. A master's thesis found in the Health Sciences Library -UNC-Chapel Hill.
- Accredited Nursing Schools in NC 1950 (PDF)
- A state study of LPN educaiton in 1963 (Open Library)
- Brown, R.E. (1964). Report of survey of nursing education in North Carolina. [Brochure]. No publishing information available. Available online through the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/reportofsurveyof00brow
- "Changes in nursing education: Mrs. Margaret Dolan outlines future needs in address to state-wide conference on Associate Degree Programs". (December, 1964). Tar Heel Nurse pp.32-33.
- Collins, P. (2004). Historical case study of Parkview Hospital and School of Nursing".
- Daughtry, M. (1959). Practical nursing in North Carolina. NC Department of Public Instruction, Raleigh, NC. Available online through NC Digital Collections: https://digital.ncdcr.gov/digital/collection/p249901coll22/id/431712
- Debray, J.N. (1965). The effects of a dilpoma school of nursing on Rex Hospital. Master's Thesis, Duke University.
- Goldmark Report (Nursing and Nursing education in the United States) 1923. Available online: http://archive.org/details/nursingnursinged00comm
- Greenhill, E.D. (1965). A history of the Department of Public Health Nursing, UNC 1941-1950 - Master's thesis found at UNC Chapel Hill Health Sciences Library.
- Greenwood, J.T. (1991). Presbyterian Hospital. Presbyterian Hospital: Charlotte, NC
- Haase, P. (1990). Associate Degree Nursing Education: An Historical Annotated Bibliography, 1942-1988. National League of Nursing Press: Durham, NC.
- Hasse, P. (1990). The Origins and Rise of Associate Degree Nursing Education. National League of Nursing Press: Durham, NC
- Kenney, J.A. (1918). Some facts concerning Negro nurse training schools and their graduates. Journal of the National Medial Association, 11(2), 53-68. (Article discusses St. Agnes School of Nursing (Raleigh) and Lincoln Hospital School of Nursing (Durham).)
- Korstad, R.R. (1990). Dreaming of a time: The School of Public Health University of North Carolina Chapel Hill 1939-1989. University of North Carolina Press: Chapel Hill, NC.
- Lattimore, R.S. (2005). Rutherford Hospital: The legend and legacy. Hilltop Publications and Rutherford Hospital: Rutherfordton, NC.
- Marlowe, N. (2004). The legacy of Mission Hospital: 120 years of caring. Mission Hospital: Asheville, NC
- McGrath, B.J. (1976) Nursing in Area Health Education Centers. American Journal of Nursing, 76(10), 1605-1607.
- National League for Nursing issues the Report on Hospital Schools of Nursing in 1957.
- No author. (Nov, 1950). Nursing and Nursing Education in NC: Report of the Committee to Study Nursing Education sponsored by the NC Medical Care Commission and UNC-CH.
- Nursing Education in North Carolina 1975-1980. State Report. Available online: https://archive.org/details/nursingeducation00univ/page/n3/mode/2up?view=theater
- "Nursing school policy set." Raleigh News and Observer, August 28, 1954. ("Professional nursing education in NC received a fresh outlook and approach yesterday in the presentation of a new policy for accrediting schools of nursing".)
- O'Rorke, M. (2010). Haven on the Hill: A History of North Carolina’s Dorothea Dix Hospital. Raleigh: N.C.: Office of Archives and History.
- Ouellette, S & Owens, S (2002). A history of the nurse anesthesia program: Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center The University of North Carolina at Greensboro 1942-2002. No pubishing details available
- Porter, F.R. & Garrett, A.S. (1955). The need for trained practical nurses in North Carolina: A reoprt prepared for the Richardson Foundation. Durham, NC: Sid W. Richardson Foundation.
- Practical Nurse Education. (1963). NC Department of Public Instruction. Found at UNC -Chapel Hill Library System.
- Redwine, E. (1923). A plea for training school standardization. Transactions of the NC Hospital Association. page 19-24.
- Reynolds, P.P. (1991). Watts Hospital of Durham, North Carolina, 1895-1976: Keeping the Doors Open. NC School for Science and Mathematics: Durham, NC
- Reynolds, P.P. (2001). Durham's Lincoln Hospital. Arcadia Publishers: Charleston, S.C.
- Richardson, W.P. & Daughtry, M. (1953). North Carolina attacks its problems in nursing service and education. American Journal of Nursing, 53(4), p. 458-459.
- Shinn, J. (2002). The Story of the Charlotte Memorial Hospital and Carolinas Medical Center. B. Williams and Associates: Durham, NC.
- Subcommittee on School Data Analysis for the National Committee for the Improvement of Nursing Services. "Nursing Schools at Mid Century." Published in 1950 with data gathered in 1949.
- Soule, E.A. (1965). Utilization of the graduate licensed practical nurse in eight general hospitals in North Carolina. Masters Thesis found at UNC-Chapel Hill.