Learn more about nursing history in Forsyth County
- Extensive clippings and files under "nurses," "hospitals," and "public health" found in Forsyth Public Library.
- Nurse Doxie Whitfield is honored for her work as a humanitarian.
- Information about Nurse Edna Heinzerling RN, Director of the NC Baptist Hospital School of Nursing.
- Zeta H. Beeson (b. 7 Jul 1911 - d. 30 Jun 1970) Captain Army Nurse Corps WW II and Korea
- Article about nurse executive Kim Richards, RN from Clemmons.
- Article about Nurse Pernelle Shaw,RN, 1944 graduate of Kate B. Reynolds Hospital
- Ruth Crew Grimes, RN Red Cross and Spanish Flu nurse, 1920s, Winston-Salem
Schools of Nursing
- Ouellete, S. & Owens, S. ed. (2002) A History of the Nurse Anesthesia Program: Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center. University of North Carolina at Greensboro Press; Greensboro, NC
- Baptist Hospital School of Nursing archives
- Scrapbook about Baptist Hospital School of Nursing.
- Braddy, M (March 5, 1964) " Nurses recall school days" Twin City Sentinel. Article about the City Memorial Hospital School of Nursing
- History of Winston Salem State University nursing program.
- RECAP: a 50th anniversary booklet about the Baptist Hospital School of Nursing
Health Care Institutions
- Prichard, R. W. (1976) Winston-Salem's Black Hospitals Prior to 1930. Journal of the National Medical Association.68(3). p 246-249.
- Grimes, W. T. (1972) The History of Kate Bitting Reynolds Memorial Hospital. Journal of the National Medical Association. 64(4). p.376-381.
- Information and photographs about early hospitals in Winston Salem.
- Information about early hospitals in Winston salem from NCLEARN.
- Information about the Forsyth County Red Cross Chapter with information about early nurses.
- Information and photograph about Twin City Hospital (see 1901 under Twin City Hospital).
- Report of the 1955 Community Nursing Service of Winston-Salem/Forsythe County
- The NC State Archives in Raleigh has the records of the Slater Hospital Board of Managers from 1899-1919.
- WSSU also has records/manuscripts about Slater.
- A GREAT LINK to the history of hospials in Winston Salem
- Photographs of nurses and nursing students in Forsyth County found on the Digital Forsyth website.
- Photographs of nurses working at the RJ Reynolds plant in the 1920s.
- Photograph of a capping ceremony at Baptist Hospital school of Nursing circa 1960.
- Early public health nursing timeline for Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Article about the state eugenics (sterilization) program qith quotes from African American nurses Lula Morrison and ida Ruth Staplefoote. (Article title: "A Closer Past SOME May have Forgot")
- 1937 Rules for the Winston Salem Nurses Association District 2
- "The history of the bedside nursing program in Winston-Salem, Forsythe County". By Nurse Marjorie Spaulding. The Health Bulletin, Feb 1948, pg 13.
- Article mentioning Lt. Vinnie Curry, RN and Lt. Thelma Gallman, RN of Winston Salem.
- Rules for the nurses registry of Winston-Salem (for White nurses)
Learn more about nursing in the early Moravian Settlements
- Durham Morning Herald, 11-21-1948 "State's first organized nursing started in 1772 by the Moravians of Wachovia".
- Moore, M.L. (August, 1969) Bright Spot in the 18th Century. American Journal of Nursing, 69 (8). pp 1705-1709.
- Wyche, M.L. (1938). The history of nursing in North Carolina. University of North Carolina Press: Chapel Hill, NC.