In 1887, the Ladies Twin-City Hospital Association, a group of volunteers from St. Paul's Episcopal Church, raised funds to open a 10 patient hospital in Winston Salem. The first Twin-City Hospital was sustained for three years, and closed in 1891 due to lack of funds.
In 1895, the Ladies Twin-City Hospital Association once again raised funds to open the second Twin-City Hospital on Brookstown Avenue. In 1901, the Twin-City Hospital started a nurses training program, which operated until the Twin-City Hospital transferred its patients to the new City Memorial Hospital and closed its doors in 1914.
- Winston-Salem's Early Hospitals, 1887-1938. Digital Forsyth.
- How women came to build Forsyth Medical Center by Greg Sullivan, Novant Health
- History of Forsyth Medical Center
- Brache, L. (2019, March 21). From Twin City Hospital To Forsyth Medical Center: How Women Shaped the History Of Triad Medical Care. CBS WFMY News 2. Winston Salem, North Carolina. Available online at https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/how-women-shaped-forsyth-medical-center-into-what-it-is-today/83-89847f7d-4ed1-410b-b956-eaf8cfe01966