Our heritage a history of Cleveland County
Kings Mountain had two of the earliest doctors who helped in civic as well as the medical field – Dr. James W. Tracey and Dr. Ben F. Dixon.
Dr. John Aaron Cicero Lattimore of Lawndale went on to Louisville, Ky, and was later listed in Who’s Who for his medical civic work in the black community of that city. He was subsequently awarded a certificate of merit by the United States for his medical work in the military.
One of the first –- if not the first – female physicians in North Carolina came from Cleveland County – Mrs. Della Dixon Carroll, sister of Thomas Dixon Jr.
The first five nursing graduates at Shelby Hospital – on Sept. 16, 1927 – were Misses Sara Roberts, Maggie Atkinson, Ada McCoy, Margaret Crowder and Sadie Beverly.
For the year ending Sept. 1, 1927, 661 patients had been treated for a total of 6,886 patient days. There had been 46 births at the hospital that year and 44 deaths.
In May 1927, The Cleveland Star reported that, according to Dr. D.F. Moore, county physicians, 34 new cases of smallpox were known in the county. Smallpox vaccinations began that month and many “sore arms” were reported.
In April 1927, The Star noted that the “typhoid” epidemic had been stopped in Cleveland County.
Shelby’s first hospital-a private institution-was started in 1910 by Dr. G.T. Hamrick. An advertisement in the 1911 Cleveland Star read “An Institution for Health – apply for Rates.” The hospital was located in the old, three-story building that had formerly been an academy and was to later be the College Inn at the site of the present City Hall.
In 1911, Dr. Harlan Shoemaker, “one of America’s most noted and successful physicians,” was chief surgeon. Shoemaker was from Philadelphia, and when he left Shelby, went to Los Angeles, Calif., where he became chief surgeon at Los Angeles General Hospital.
Miss Floy Miller was surgical nurse in 1911; Miss Novella Beam, Emma Eskridge, Lillian Elliot and Maude Jenkins were nurses. The hospital, its newspaper advertisements explained, was “situated in a grove of stately trees” where patients were taken to enjoy the sunshine. In April 1911, the Shelby Civic League organized a hospital “pounding” and presented a “deluge of good things to eat and serviceable things for sick rooms.”
The county’s first public hospital, known first as Shelby Hospital and later as Cleveland Memorial opened on Grover Street Aug. 17, 1923. A $100,000 bond referendum for a hospital had been defeated in 1919 but, in 1926, No. 6 Township (in which Shelby is located) approved the issue.
The first trustees were Clyde R. Hoey, chairman; Dr. S.S. Royster, Mrs. W.B. Nix, O.C. Dixon, A.W. McMurry; secretary-treasurer; John Scheck Jr., William Lineberger, J.R. Dover and Coy McSwain.
Miss Ella MacNichols was superintendent for the first 17 years. Dr. William M. Scruggs of Charlotte was consulting surgeon; Dr. J.W. Harrbison, resident surgeon Dr. Reuben McBrayer, director of laborites; Miss Etta Beverly, assistant director and head nurse; Miss Claudia Baker, operating room nurse; Miss Mamie Goodwin, night nurse superintendent.
The hospital’s first patient was Mrs. James L. Webb who came to attend the opening ceremonies and caught her hand in her car door. Dr. Harbison treated her hand in the emergency room. The first were 48 beds in the hospital and charge per day for a private room was $3 and $2.50 for ward beds. Seven patients were admitted the first week. The first baby born in the hospital was John R. Phifer Jr., on Aug. 19, 1923. The second was Sara Newton on Aug. 28, 1923.
In 1918, an epidemic of “Spanish influenza” descended on the country and in October of that year, 25 deaths had been reported in Cleveland County because of the flu. Three were dead from it in one family.
The Cleveland Star declared that “in the history of Shelby no such calamity as the present epidemic has befallen the town.” There were calls to Raleigh for trained nurses to assist in treating the sick. Local citizens formed a fund for stricken families.
In Nov. 1918, 57 deaths from flu were recorded in the count – 4,805 in North Carolina.
All Cleveland County physicians were members of the 1923 hospital staff. They were: Dr. J.P. Aydlotte, Earl; J.E. Anthony, Kings Mountain; R.C. Ellis, Shelby; T.D. Edwards, Toluca; E.W. Gibbs and Ben Gold, Shelby; T.B. Gold and W.T. Grigg, Lawndale; J. Yates Hamrick, Boiling Springs; T.G. Hamrick, J.W. Harbison, E.A. Houser, Shelby; L.V. Lee, Lattimore; F.H. Lackey, Fallston; W.F. Mitchell, Shelby; Reuben McBrayer, Shelby; J.F. Norman, Kings Mountain; George Oates, Grover; B.H. Palmer, S.S. Royster, Shelby; B.P. Stokes, Kings Mountain; J.W. Wood, Boiling Springs.
In 1976, these were the medical staffs:
CLEVELAND MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
Active: Dr. Gerald R. Binion, Dr. T.R. Blackburn, Dr. Richard M Bowles, Dr. R.F. Bowling, Dr. Thomas H. Bridges (ER), Dr. James H. Bussus, Dr. Numa R. Carter Jr., Dr. Thad C. Carter, Dr. R.C. Cloninger, Dr. Warren J. Collins, Dr. J.B. Crow, Dr. R. Lee Denny (ER), Dr. O.D. Evans Jr., Dr. Hugh L. Farrior, Dr. E.L. Gebel, Dr. George F. Geils, Dr. J. B. Gentry, Dr. C. Lee Gilliatt, Dr. John C. Hamrick Sr., Dr. John Carl Hamrick Jr., Dr. Frank T. Hannah, Dr. Richard A. Hardeman, Dr. J.B. Hunter, Dr. J. A. Injejikian, Dr. Jasper B. Jefferies, Dr. Livingston Johnson, Dr. Craig S. Jones, Dr. Robert S. Jones, Dr. Ben H. Kendall, Dr. Edward S. King, Dr. C. G. Lampley III, Dr. Fred S. Maurer, Dr. R. Michael Miller, Dr. Joseph S. Minus, Dr. Rodney L. McKnight, Dr. C.M. McMurray, Dr. A. W. McMurry, Dr. Carl H. Naman, Dr. Wm. T. Naylor (ER), Dr. Charles K. Padgett, Dr. S.F. Parker, Dr. Paul M. Sarazen Jr., Dr. J. Sam Seastruck, Dr. A.J. Seacrest, Dr. W.D. Simpson, Dr. Joel F. Spragins, Dr. William A. Story, Dr. Everette L. Taylor Jr. (ER), Dr. Joseph E. Walker, Dr. Jack D. Williams, Dr. A. Don Wolff, Dr. Merrill B. Yeomans.
KINGS MOUNTAIN HOSPITAL
Active: Dr. C.H. Adams, Dr. T.G. Durham, Dr. J.B. Gentry, Dr. Joseph Lee III, Dr. John C. McGill, Dr. G.W. Plonk, Dr. S.L. Robinson, Dr. F.J. Sincox.
ROYSTER MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
Active staff: Dr. Nelida Cuenca, Dr. H. Gene Washburn, Dr. W. Wyan Washburn.
An addition to Cleveland Memorial’s east wing was completed in 1935 with the installation of a maternity ward through funds donated by Hatcher Webb and A. C. Miller as well as Duke Endowment funds. A WPA grant financed building a nurses home beside the hospital. (The nurses home was demolished in April 1974 to make way for more expansion.)
Kings Mountain hospital was constructed in 1951. At the time, it had a total of 41 beds. The facility was expanded – the most recent expansion opening to patients in November 1970. Bed capacity increased from 75 to 102.
Royster Memorial Hospital in Boiling Springs began in 1949 as a 12-bed infirmary and diagnostic center. Dr. S.S. Royster offered a contribution that was matched by the community. Over the years, three expansions followed resulting in 40 beds. In 1974, Mr. and Mrs. John P. Crawley in the name of their parents gave a $100,000 gift toward a new hospital in Boiling Springs. Hospital trustees voted to name the $1.5 million, 60-bed facility Crawley Memorial. Bids for the facility – to be located on the Cliffside Road west of Boiling Springs – were received in the fall of 1975. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held on Nov. 28, 1975.
Cleveland Memorial underwent an expansion program completed in 1967 which increased bed capacity from 186 to some 290 beds. A 38,000-square foot addition and expansion at the hospital was dedicated in April 1975. This included a new main entrance, new main lobby, admitting and discharge offices, coffee and gift shops, elevators to patient floors a various facilities that served both inpatients and outpatients.
The Cleveland County Health Department was organized in 1938 (minutes do not begin until 1944). Doctors A. Pitt Beam and Ben Kendall and others helped the department from its beginnings. J. Horace Grigg, county school superintendent at the time, was the health department’s first executive secretary. Miss Cora Beam (who died in 1975 at the age of 92) also aided the department. (She was a public school nurse in North Carolina and a pioneer nurse on the state nursing board.)