Watts Hospital, located in Durham, North Carolina was the city's first hospital, operating between 1895 and 1976.
The hospital opened in 1895, funded entirely by George W. Watts, as a private, 22-bed, modern hospital dedicated to the care of Durham's white citizens and offered free care to those unable to pay. The hospital became public in 1953 and closed 1976, when Durham County General Hospital opened. The grounds and buildings of the hospital's 1909 campus were converted to become the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics, which began classes in 1980. (From Wikipedia)
Watts College of Nursing is still in operation in Durham, NC, as a part of the Duke University Health System.
- About Watts School of Nursing
- Watts Hospital (1909-1980) / North Carolina School of Math and Science on Open Durham (includes images)
People and Biographies
- Vashti Bartlett, Superintendent of Watts Hospital 1909-1915
- Drummond's Pictoral Atlas of North Carolina (mention on p. 46). Digitized copy available from UNC's Documenting the American South.
- Reynolds, P.P. (1991). Watts Hospital of Durham, North Carolina, 1895-1976: Keeping the Doors Open. Fund for the Advancement of Science and Mathematics Education in North Carolina : Durham, N.C. (OCLC Record).
- 1902, Apr 18. Training School Exercises, Two Nurses Graduate From The Hospital. The Durham Sun, p.1. Durham, North Carolina.