UNC Rex Hospital is a general hospital located in Raleigh, North Carolina. It is the capital city's oldest hospital, founded by a bequest from John T. Rex (1771-1839), a local tanner, in 1894. Originally located on what is now Dorothea Dix campus, and later on St. Mary's Street, Rex is now located in west Raleigh. The first nursing school in NC was affiliated with Rex and operated until 1975; the hospital has been at its current location since 1980.
Above photo: Rex Hospital graduates 1942.
Articles and Publications
- Debray, J.N. (1965). The effects of a diploma school of nursing on Rex Hospital [master's thesis]. Duke University.
- Mitchell, M.F. (1987). A half century of health care: Raleigh's Rex Hospital, 1894-1944. North Carolina Historical Review, 64(2), pp.162-198.
- Taylor, M. et al. (2006). Hospitals. NCpedia. https://www.ncpedia.org/hospitals. This article has a brief sketch on the history of Rex Hospital, as well as other historic hospitals in the state.
- Williams, A.C. (1994). Rex Hospital: a centennial celebration. Raleigh, NC: Rex Hospital.
- Wyche, M.L. (1938). The history of nursing in North Carolina. University of North Carolina Press: Chapel Hill. (This book has pictures and text about the beginnings of Rex Hospital and its School of Nursing.)
- Records, 1896-1967, Rex Hospital (Raleigh, NC) School of Nursing at North Carolina Division of Archives and History
- Rex Hospital School of Nursing Collection on Digital NC
- Digital collection items referencing Rex Hospital held by Library of Congress
- The US Library of Congress has 2 boxes of materials including Alumni Association records (1940-1952), list of graduates (1895-1965), History of Rex Hospital and School of Nursing by Alma Kermon, scrapbook covering the years 1961-1967, various scrapbooks, yearbooks, handbooks, photograph albums and other materials related to Rex Hospital School of Nursing.
- 1919, Apr 03. Rex Hospital Nurses, Dissatisfied, Quit, Trustees and Medical Staff Make Speedy Arrangements To Care For Patients. News and Observer, p.1. Raleigh, North Carolina.
- 1919, Apr 11. 22 Nurses on Strike. The Independant, p.5. Elizabeth City, North Carolina.
- 1919, Jul 31. Rex Hospital. The Union Herald, p.4. Raleigh, North Carolina.
- (n.d.). For Nurses Home At Rex Hospital, Movement to Erect Suitable Place for the Women. (n.p.). Raleigh, North Carolina.