Presbyterian Hospital was founded in 1903, when ten doctors from the North Carolina Medical College purchased the former Charlotte Private Hospital, and turned it over to the city's six Presbyterian churches to operate. The hospital operated out of leased properties during its early years. In 1915, the nearby Elizabeth College moved to Virginia, vacating its campus on Hawthorne Lane. The hospital acquired that property and in 1918 began operating at its current location. The first of several new buildings opened in 1940, and in 1980 the Elizabeth College buildings came down to make way for further expansion. It opened several satellite hospitals in Huntersville and Matthews, before merging with Carolina Medicorp of Winston-Salem in 1997. The combined company became known as Novant Health, and in 2013 announced the re-branding all of facilities under the Novant name. (From Wikipedia)
- Greenwood, J. (1991). Presbyterian Hospital: The Spirit of Caring. Taylor Publishing Company, Dallas, TX. (p 29-37)
- 1961, Mar 19. For Nurses, Big Dose of Studying. The Charlotte Observer, p.51. Charlotte, North Carolina.