Learn more about Dix Hospital and its School of Nursing:
Finding aid about Dix Hospital and the nursing school found at NC State Archives
- Dorothea Dix's report the NC Legislature 1848.
- Finnell, P.H. (1933). A short sketch of Central State Hospital. Raleigh, NC The Health Bulletin. pg.13-16.
O’Rorke, M (2010). Haven on the hill. NC Department of Archives and History: Raleigh, NC.
interactive timeline about Dix Hospital
- WIKIPEDIA information about Dix Hospital
- State Historic Highway Marker about Dix Hospital
- Papers and photographs about the school are housed in the NC State Archives in Raleigh, NC.
- Play (PDF) written by an English professor at Catawba College based on the poetry of Nurse Juanita Tobiin during her 20 year career at Dix Hospital in Raleigh
- In 1898, Dix Hospital started taking in nursing students on an ad hoc basis. A Nurses Training School was officially established in 1902.
- Dorothea Dix School of Nursing Related Papers, 1905 - 1951 - The Dorothea Dix School of Nursing opened in 1902 and trained nurses through World War II, becoming a member of the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps. After the last graduating class of 1949, the school still offered an affiliation in psychiatric nursing to students who had completed 21 months of basic nursing course from approved schools of nursing, until 1951. The bulk of this collection consists of photographs of nursing school graduating classes, covering 1930 to 1948, and including the Cadet Class of 1944. Other materials include publications, The Dorothea Dix School of Nursing, 1947, and Dixiana, 1951, and general records of the school. (1 manuscript box)
- Information about Mrs. Margaret Ferguson Raynor, BSN, MEd., RN who worked at Dix for 40 years.
- Nurses in 1899 listed as working at Dix Hospital (a few could be student nurses)
Miss M.F. Whitaker, Matron
Miss Callie Bronson
J.E. Dupree Night Nurse
Annie Eagle -Chief Nurse
W.R. Edwards Chief Nurse
- Miss W.R. Abernathy Ward nurse
Miss Meda Carter
Nurses classes, State Hospital (aka Dorthea Dix Hospital), January 19, 1946. From the Albert Barden Collection, North Carolina State Archives.