Learn more about the history of nursing in Surry County
- 53 years of continuous practice (September, 1965). Tar Heel Nurse. An article about nurse Mary Barrett of Mt. Airy, NC.
- Article about Dr. Ora Lea Strickland, RN., PhD, FAAN 2010 winner of the Elizabeth Carnegie Award for Nursing.
- Dr. Strickland was highlighted in the month of January in the Aetna African American nurses 1004 calendar
- Nancy Louise (McCormick) Saunders (b. 4 Aug 1921 - d. 31 Dec 1987) US Army Nurse Corp, WWII
- Oral history of Lunary Love, an Air Force in the 1950s.
Health Care Institutions
- Official history of the Surry County Health Department with a lot of information about nurses.
- "The Martin Memorial Hospital was established in 1915 with fifteen beds. Today  there are fifty. It is a private general hospital with modern well-equipped laboratory and X-ray departments. In 1922 one of the most complete nurses homes in the State was erected." Quote from: Drummond, A.Y. (1924) Drummond's Pictorial Atlas of NC. Scoggins Printing Co., Inc, Winston Salem, NC.