Additional resources for further research.
Health Care Institutions
Books, Articles and Publications
- McCoy, J.M.W. (1943). Papers, 1941-1943. 73 items. Randleman, N.C. Letters to McCoy while in nurses training from her mother, Marion A. Wall, who was serving in the Women's Army Auxilary Corps describing her duties, activities, and social life while stationed in Ft. Des Moines, Iowa. Found in the Duke University Library Special Collections.
- Mills, L.B. (2008). Randolph County: A brief history. Office of Archives and History: Raleigh, NC. This book reports that from 1948-1960 Mr. C.A. Barett founded the George Washington Carver College in Asheboro, which offered courses in many areas including practical nursing. The only other independent school for African Americans in practical nursing in NC was in Fayetteville in the early 1940s, run by Dr. Mathew Leary Perry.
- Rich, R. (n.d.). Fifty Years of Nursing. Book can be found in the Health Sciences Library at UNC Chapel Hill.
- Whatley, L.M.(2000). Randolph County. Arcadia Press. In this book Whatley discusses Nurse Lula Phillips Wilkerson who, with her husband Dr. Charles Wilkerson, opened the Ferree Memorial Hospital in 1911 which had a nursing school until 1915. In 1915 Dr. J.F. Miller "and his wife and several other nurses" opened Miller Hospital in Asheboro, NC which closed in 1918. The Randolph County Health Department opened in 1925.
- Randolph County, 1779-1979 [full text]. Digitized version available through archive.org. Section on Hospitals: HOSPITALS 1915-1918 Miller Hospital 150 North Fayetteville Street, Asheboro; Dr. J.F. Miller and wife, plus three or four nurses; private home; nurses training; Mary Scotton was cook and nurse; after Dr. Miller left for the Army in World War I, Mrs. Miller died in the flu epidemic. Mrs. Scotton, a practical nurse, served for many years in Asheboro as a nurse and midwife, living to be 94 years of age. 1911-1915 Ferree Memorial Hospital Randleman; in former John H. Ferree home; Dr. Charles E. Wilkerson and Mrs. Wilkerson; nurses training offered. 1919-1926 Wilkerson Hospital Near Sophia on Highway 311; Dr. and Mrs. Charles E. Wilkerson returned from African mission; installed Delco power system and running water; 15 beds; the Wilkersons moved to Greensboro but continued to come back to Randleman from time to time to confer with patients. 1919-1931 Memorial Hospital 700 Sunset Avenue, Asheboro; Dr. C.A. Hayworth and Dr. Ray W. Hayworth opened hospital, but Dr. R.W. left soon for Navy duty; by 1923 Dr. W.L. Lambert and Dr. George H. Sumner joined staff; located in old Fisher Estate home; addition increased hospital to 50 beds; closed in 1931 because of Dr. Hayworth's health; home burned in 1934. 1932- Randolph Hospital Private corporation, chartered in 1931; Duke Endowment matched funds raised locally; opened in 1932; 1963 expansion; Emergency and Outpatient facility added in 1975 through contributions — named in honor of Charles W. McCrary, Chairman from 1946; D.B. McCrary, Chairman, 1931-1946; G.W. Joyner first resident physician and chief surgeon until his retirement in 1978; administrator since 1960, John W. Ellis; hospital has 165 beds and 23 bassinets. 1938-1962 Barnes-Griffin Clinic 215 South Fayetteville Street; Drs. Dempsey Barnes and H.L. Griffin; after Dr. Barnes' death, named the Griffin Clinic, with Dr. Thornton Cleek, Dr. Hugh Fitzpatrick, Dr. B. Francis Barham and Dr. Robert Wilhoit also on staff; 36 beds; closed a few years after Dr. Griffin's death.