Notable individuals from nursing history.
- Carolyn E. Alphin ( ): Educational nurse specialist from Vanceboro, NC. She is a certified instructor for the American Heart Association and the Neonatal Resuscitation programs. She is a member of the Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses and is active in community organizations in Craven County.
- Eunice Goodwin Barrow (1914-2012): World War II nurse who served in the Navy Nurse Corps. (Memorial available on Legacy website.)
- Josephine Burton Bradham (1875-1917): First Registered Nurse (RN) in the United States.
- Jean Evelyn Tower Lassiter (1915-2008): Public health administrator in New Bern, NC. (Obituary)
- Charlotte Rhone (1874-1963): Social worker and first African-American nurse in North Carolina.