Beaufort County

Region: 
Coastal

Learn more about the history of nursing in Beaufort County

Biographies

  • Katie Paul: Pioneer nursing educator of Beaufort County Community College.  The new (2009) nursing education building is named in her honor.
  •   Georgene G. Eakes of Chocowinity -

        After earning her diploma in nursing from Watts Hospital School of Nursing and a bachelor's degree in nursing from North Carolina A & T tate University in Greensboro, Eakes earned her master's degree in nursing from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and her doctorate of education from North Carolina State University. She currently serves as the director of clinical education with the Center Learning a nd Performance at Vidant Medical Center. Eakes is Professor Emeritus with the College of Nursing at East Carolina University and has served as visiting faculty at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington. She also served as instructor at the Forsyth Technical Institute in Winston-Salem, and worked in a variety of nursing positions throughout the Southeast. She is a recognized nurse theorist and has authored many research papers on nursing care throughout her career. Eakes has received numerous awards, including The East Carolina University Scholar Teacher Award and the North Carolina Nurse Educator of the Year awarded by the North Carolina Nurses Association. She hold numerous memberships in professional organizations, including Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, and the End-of-Life Care Consortium for Eastern North Carolina.
     

Miscellaneous

Beaufort County Community College began with the operation of a practical nursing program in 1949, under the direction of the State Vocational and Adult Education Department. This was in the first group of Practical Nursing programs in NC.

  • Alma Parker , RN  taught nursing at Beaufort County Community College for 28 years.
  • Photograph of the old Tayloe Hospital
  • Photograph of the building and nurses at Fowle Hospital