UNC-G ADN program
Below is a brief chronological history of the UNC-G ADN program found in the UNC-G archives, author unknown
By a grant of $100,000 from the Hospital Trustees [of Moses H. Cone Memorial Hosptial], a school of nursing was established at the Woman’s College of the University of North Carolina [a former name of the current UNC-Greensboro]. This agreement between the hospital and the Woman’s College regarding the co-operative program in nursing education was submitted by Miss Mereb E. Mossman and acting Chancellor Dr. W. Pierson. A co-operative and experimental plan, to be designated “An Experimental Program in Nursing Education at the Woman’s College of the University of North Carolina in co-operation with the Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital in Greensboro,” will be inaugurated in September, 1957 and will continue under these articles of agreement at least for a period of four calendar years.
This is the Frist School of nursing, other than that at A&T College, to be operated in the community since the closing of St. Leo’s Program…not the University degree program such as those at Duke University and the University of North Carolina.
On July 1, the State of North Carolina assumed responsibility for full operating costs of the School of Nursing at UNC-G. In total, the Hospital contributed $214,835 to help the state finance this program. The final decision was that the Hospital would give the money to the Woman’s College to operate the program and the academic controls would best be with the college. The Hospital viewed this undertaking as an opportunity to provide a source of nurse manpower and please those who had always wanted the hospital to have a school of nursing. It was often referred to as the “Cone program.” Woman’s College achieved university status in 1963 and the name was changed to UNC-G. In addition to the grants made to this school of nursing, the Hospital provided scholarship loans to deserving students. The scholarship loan in 1964 was increased to $30,000. By 1964, this program had graduated 131 nurses and in September, 78 students were enrolled in the program. Moses Cone did not embrace the “sitter service,” as Wesley Long did and found successful. Sitters were paid $1 an hour, compared with $20 an eight hour day for a registered nurse.
The University has announced its plans to change from the two-year associate degree to a four-year baccalaureate degree program beginning in September 1966. The last class in the associate degree program graduated in June 1967.
Dr. Eloise Lewis wrote on July 27, 1967, “As you know, the Associate Program in Nursing, offered since 1957, at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro has officially closed…the last student completed her work on July 14, 1967. We are hoping for great things from the 4-year degree school at UNC-G.”
The fantastic, mission driven Dr. Eloise R. Lewis became Dean of the School of Nursing at UNC-G. She established the baccalaureate nursing program in 1966 and the Master of Science in nursing program in 1976. (Eloise retired from this job in 1985…at that time there had been 1,611 graduates of the baccalaureate program and 228 from the master’s program.) What this lady has meant to this community and state and beyond is staggering!