NC Midwives (nurses and lay)
Learn more about the history of Midwives in NC
- Information from the NC Museum of History Website
- Information from the NC Midwives Alliance website
- NC Museum of History information about Midwifery in NC (see picture of midwife class at FSU at the bottom)
- A speech given at ECU by Holly Mathews, PhD, Professor, Department of Anthropology titled: “Killing the Medical Self-help Tradition among African Americans: The Case of Lay Midwifery in North Carolina, 1912-1983”
- Holly Mathews, PhD, Professor, Department of Anthropology. View Presentation.
- Photograph on page 110 of Pitt County Lay Midwives in 1951
- See Lisa Goldstein in the biographies section of this website.