History of early public health nursing in Forsyth County

Winston-Salem
 
1906
The Wayside Workers, members of a Sunday School class in Home Moravian Church employed Miss Bertha Reginas, a practical nurse, to do visiting nursing in Salem, contagious diseases excepted.
1911
A graduate nurse, Miss Peroy Powers, was engaged. This same year permission was given Wayside Workers to send their nurse into East and West Salem Schools to do school inspection and follow up work in the home, (this is according to data the first instance of school nursing in the state). The work continued thus, until 1920 when Miss Powers resigned to become supervisor of nurses with City Health Department. Wayside Workers than made agreement with Dr. Carlton, City Health Officer to contribute $90.00 per month toward the support of a nurse with the understanding that one nurse be allowed to continued work in Salem along the same lines of service that their nurse had hitherto rendered. This arrangement lasted for four and one-half years when the contributions of the Workers were discontinued as the Health Board by that time was on sufficient financial footing to operate efficiently without further outside aid.
1916
The Junior Hospital Association employed Mrs. Della Oliver Neilson, R.N. to work among needy under the direction of Miss Annie Grogan, Secretary of Associated Charities. Within a year or two the financing of the nurse was taken over by the Associated Charities, and Mrs. Betty Clingman Vaughn Lloyd, R.N. was first nurse, followed a little later by Miss Mary Chalmers, R.N. who is still in 1931 serving the Associated Charities.
1916
Winston-Salem City Health Department organized during a serious epidemic of scarlet fever among adults- Dr. J.J. Kinyon, of United States Public Health Service sent to charge.
1916
April- First nurses employed Mrs. Sallie Hardester Cook, R.N. (white) and Girlie Jones Strickland, R.N. (colored), for school and contagious disease work.
1918
Two additional nurses for school and contagious disease work.
1919
One additional nurse for school and contagious disease, and one special tuberculosis nurse financed by Seal and sale fund.
1920 and 1921
Four additional nurses for school and contagious disease work.
1931
June- The present staff consists of one Supervisor, Miss Percy Powers, R.N. seven white general nurses, one tuberculosis nurse and two colored nurses. Two of the nurses are financed by Red Cross Seal fund. All are under direction of City Health Officer, Dr. R.L. Carlton. Plan of work general, with exception of tuberculosis nurse. These nurses work only in City, as Forsyth County, exclusive of Winston-Salem, has its own Health Department. Winston-Salem Health Department and lay agencies not affiliated. Wilmington are examples of this type of organization in North Carolina.
 
                Another official agency which has quite generally recognized the value of the nurse is the City School Board. In at least two cities in the state the School Board was the first agency to inaugurate school nursing service into its health program. Durham in 1915 was the first, followed in 1919 by Greensboro. Durham in 1924 turned over its nursing service to the Health Department. Greensboro, through its contribution to the Greensboro Nursing Council supports five nurses who, however, do generalized nursing under the direction of the City Health Officer. Charlotte School Board in 1927 was financing four nurses who were doing school work exclusively, but working through the Charlotte Cooperative Nursing Association.
 
With the establishment of factories and large industrial plants the economic as well as humanitarian aspect of the work of the nurse has been recognized. (IN plants where the population is drawn from a wide territory the nurse works in the plant entirely. In those cases where the mills have established a community of people the nurse is employed to do visiting nursing for bedside care.) The term Industrial Nursing is used to describe this type of nursing.
 
Industrial plants in the state now known to be employing nurses are the following: Cone Mills in Greensboro, three nurses who give bedside care; The Mock-Judson-Voehringer Co., in Greensboro, one nurse who works in plant Irwin Cotton Mills, West Durham, one nurse who serves as director of the Social Service Department; The R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., Winston- Salem, nine nurses, one for each plant, all working under the direction of Dr. E. S. Thompson, one of the two full time physicians. The Hanes Cotton Mills, at Hanes, a mill village near Winston-Salem has supported a community nurse for many years. Some of the cotton mills in Rutherford County have supported nurses at intervals, but owing to the recent business depression have none at present. In Wilmington and Charlotte one or two mills contribute to the support of a nurse through the nursing organizations.
 
The Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, (although a business organization) has made a large contribution to the nursing service in North Carolina, (and although its services are directed primarily to its policy holders,) its interest and influence in health matters have a much wider horizon. At present the Company has a total of twenty-seven nurses, two of whom are colored, employed in twenty-three towns in the state working directly from its offices. In addition it contributes to the support of nurses through affiliations with the Health Departments and nursing organizations in Asheville, Charlotte, Greensboro, High Point and Wilmington. Its first services were established at Raleigh and Winston-Salem, March 25, 1912, and its last at Elizabeth City, June 1930.